View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Doesn't it make sense to be sure that the dealer is selling you a factory recommended part instead of something you can buy on ebay for half what the dealer charges. Forget the price, I am interested in getting the best possible part and I see no reason why I shouldn't know that it was made in a reliable factory somewhere in Germany rather than a sweatshop in Taiwan.
There are only two suppliers to my knowledge, and their units are only available through Porsche's parts distribution network, you rarely see them in the aftermarket, and even then they are more expensive than going direct. We a buy our units through Porsche, and they come in appropriate marked OEM packaging. In all the years we have been doing this, we have only ever had a few new units quickly fail, and Porsche replaced them without question; but new part failures are nothing new when using just about any OEM, from Hyundai to Ferrari, so they are a fact of life and are going to happen.

And as for buying one of flea bay, well you run some real risks there. We have had customers come to us with supposed new "OEM" water pumps in Porsche packaging they got online, only to find that when we brought out a real one, it was instantly obvious that everything (including the packaging) was a cheap knock off.

If you want to save some money and get the real deal, watch for Sunset and other lager Porsche parts dealers to have sales, which they do a couple times a year. When they do, buy the real thing and throw it on the shelf; it is one of the way we save money on inventory without sacrificing the part's quality.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote