View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Daniel R

AOS, The Final Solution

I replaced my AOS about 12 months ago, it lasted about 2 years although I feel that it is starting to fail again. I put this down to an older motor (I have a 2000 S) and the increased blow-by straining the AOS more than it was designed for with a new motor.

I have read that this could be a PCV valve problem so i will get that looked at. The car is going to the mechanic tomorrow for some major work (clutch, flywheel and mounts along with spark plug tubes and a normal service) so it will be seen to then. This I see as an interim measure however.

Now... the solution I have in mind is to go down the road of a breather tank and a belt-driven vacuum pump which I will have plenty of space for when I remove my ac compressor (ac isn't working btw so no loss there). I realise this will vent to atmosphere but it is not an issue where I live as we have no smog tests or even regular vehicle inspections. Also, I suspect the vehicle would pass an inspection anyway as long as the tank looked OE.

My question is, what hoses would I have to connect and where and which ones can be decommissioned? Also, what about the PCV valve? Would it now be redundant? Another thought I had is attaching a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank and plumbing this into the oil return hole that the factory AOS uses. I could then empty the tank straight back into the sump by turning a small tap rather than messing around with buckets and pans. Is this realistically possible? Are there any other tips or suggestions in going down this road?

I really just want to make the system as simple as possible and maintenance-free, save for draining the can as often as is necessary. Every time I do an AOS it costs me around $150 for the part and another $450 in labour so purely from a cost-saving perspective this is a good investment. The fact that I won't be blowing smoke again and the (possible??) power increase are welcome by-products.

Thoughts?
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote