View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
onewhippedpuppy

1988 911 Targa - Only 55k, $38k+ Invested, 986/996 Trades Considered

Just thought I'd post this here, as I'm interested in a partial trade into a 986/996 for daily driver type use.

Summary: 1988 Porsche 911 Targa Commemorative Edition, 55,000 miles, extensive upgrades, $29,000 OBO.

Trades: I'll hit this one up front - I will consider good driver (no projects) 996, 986, 986S, and 987 plus cash. No straight trades please. Cars considered need to be manual gearbox and very good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

I am selling my incredible 1988 911 Targa Commemorative Edition. The CE was built in 1988 to celebrate the 250,000th 911 built. From the research that I was able to do online, of the approximately 875 CEs built only 100 coupes, 100 targas, and 100 cabriolets were brought to the USA. CE upgrades include an exclusive exterior Diamond Blue Metallic paint, exclusive silver-blue interior, gathered leather door panels, matching steering wheel, Ferry Porsche signature seats, short shifter, and sport suspension. This particular car is optioned with power windows, power locks, power mirrors, and A/C (complete but inop).

This Targa has been extensively upgraded from stock. Upgrades include:

HRE 16x8” & 16x9” alloy wheels
Bilstein sport shocks front & rear with custom valving
Autothority MassFlow sensor, chip, intake
Rear control arm monoballs
Brembo GT2 “Big Red” brake calipers & 322mm sprint rotors front
Brembo 928 S4 “Big Black” calipers & 322mm sprint rotors rear
Turbo brake master cylinder & adj. brake bias valve
Stainless brake lines
Weltmeister adjustable swaybars front & rear
Weltmeister swaybar poly bushings front & rear
Sway-away front torsion bars (23mm)
Sway-away rear torsion bars (29mm)
Turbo tie rod end kit
Banana arm monoball & bushing kit
Steering wheel quick release with Momo Mod 08 Wheel (original included)
Weltmeister steering rack spacers
B&B 2-out muffler with cat bypass pipe
Hawk HPS+ brake pads front and rear
RSR lightened flywheel, Sachs racing clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing
Quaife LSD
Shortened 5th gear
Fiberglass RS bumpers front and rear (originals included)

In addition the engine was rebuilt by GK Ltd in November of 1999 for increased output without compromising reliability. Work done included:

Raceware head studs & rod bolts
Mahle pistons and cylinders (9.9:1 compression ratio)
Intake valves
Exhaust valves
Spring cups
Holey retainers
Valve keepers – set
Valve seats – intake/exhaust
Valve guides
Valve seals
Standard race engine rebuild (incl gaskets, hardware, etc.)
Boattail/polish crankcase
Lighten & knife-edge crank
Rebuild, lighten & shot peen rods
Component balance
Surface heads

After the build the engine dyno’d at 268 hp and 227 ft/lbs. All told the previous owner invested over $35,000 just in upgrades. I have 5” worth of receipts, notes, and history on the car. After purchasing the car I have performed a significant amount of maintenance and upgrades. Highlights include:

Full interior new carpet
Replaced sound deadening pads with Quiet Car (5 coats firewall and rear seats, 3 coats floors)
New engine sound pad
New hood struts front and rear
Rebuild and lube of both window mechanisms, door frame adjustment
Brake bleed with ATE Super Gold
Sway bar bushings front and rear
New window switch
DME relay
Main engine fuel line
Idle microswitch
Cleaned MAF and throttle body
Cleaned K&N
Fuel Filter
Spark plugs
Valve adjustment with new gaskets and hardware
Spark Plugs
Replaced misc breather and vacuum lines
LH door stop and reinforcement kit
Transaxle oil change with Redline
Fan belt
Heater backdate
Bridgestone Potenza RE11 tires
Bosch wiper blades

All of my maintenance work is summarized in an Excel file available via email. Overall this is an incredibly solid car. It is a fantastic runner and noticeably quicker than a stock Carrera. It starts and runs great, and has never leaked even a drop of oil in my garage. The B&B exhaust sounds fantastic. The suspension is a wonderful compromise, it is not harsh around town but instantly responsive. It tracks straight on the highway, no vibration, clunking, etc. The G50 transmission shifts smoothly with no grinding or hesitation, no issues getting into 1st gear while rolling (unlike most 915s). The brakes are simply awesome with a firm pedal and no vibration. Every feature works except for the A/C, which is intact. Due to the two piece rotors the parking brake does not work, and the turn signal cancel doesn’t work due to the quick release (original wheel included). The backdated heat works great, it warms up the interior as quickly as any car that I’ve owned. Finally, the swing arm bushings creak on bumpy roads, they appear to be polyurethane and in excellent condition but are suffering from the usual poly bushing noise. I chose not to replace these, as someone interested in racing would likely prefer these stiffer bushings.

Cosmetically it is not perfect but very nice. The body is very straight, with one small (quarter sized) ding on the top of the LH front fender that could probably be removed via PDR. There are also four fine scratches on the side of the LH fender. There are touched up rock chips on the hood and front bumper that overall blend in well with the base color, and a few small scratches that have been touched up on the rear bumper. The paint shines up VERY nice. The front and rear RS bumpers are not a perfect paint match, and the back bumper is not as glossy as the remainder of the car. The rear deck lid is also not a perfect match, though the paint quality is excellent. The HRE wheels are in nearly perfect shape with no scratches or curbing, with only minor pitting in the center section. The Targa top is very nice and un-creased, the seals are not like new but still in very decent condition. I would rate the top as 90% water tight, it will still get a few drips inside when washing. The front cowl panel has a battery cut-off switch installed, which is an excellent theft deterrent as well as making the car race ready. Overall I would characterize it as a very good driver, it is overall a very nice car that draws a LOT of complements.

The interior is excellent. The dash has zero cracks, the gauge needles aren’t faded, and both the defrost and A/C blower work well for ventilation. The carpet is brand new and protected by custom fit Lloyd’s Rubbertite floor mats, so it is still perfect. The exclusive CE door panels and rear sidewalls have some minor scratches and indentations but still look good. Front seats are totally solid with minor bolster wear on the driver’s side bolster and a few minor flaws, rear seats are nearly like new. There is currently not a radio, instead a 964 block plate is installed (original Blaupunkt included). There are also no speakers, though the front doors are still wired for door speakers. The interior has the mounts in place for mounting of a Safety Devices 6-point roll cage (covered by carpet), so installation of a roll bar would genuinely be a bolt-in affair.

Overall this is a fantastic car for someone that loves to drive. It is reliable, simple, looks great, and a blast. It has the raw feel of earlier 911s but with the improvements that come with the Carrera. With the upgrades and the maintenance that I have performed it is totally sorted and ready to go, I would be happy to drive it anywhere. It would be a perfect DE or autocross car without being too hardcore to enjoy around town, and installation of a roll cage for more serious racing is only a few bolts away. I am an anal retentive engineer and PCA member, and have done my best to describe the car to the best of my ability and as critically as possible. Well over 100 high resolution photos are available via email, as well as an Excel maintenance summary document. I am asking $29,000 OBO, and can be reached at jessup3 at cox.net or via PM.
onewhippedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote