View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
osifanatic

2000 Boxster Alarm weirdness

Hello all.

I've searched around through the forums a bit but have yet to find what is happening, so please pardon me if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

I'm running into some WEIRD-ass bahavior with my alarm.

This has just started happening recently.

Starting a couple weeks ago, the car will be sitting in my driveway and the alarm will go off. Nothing has touched the car. This has happened 3-4 times.
(I go outside, shut it off, swear a little, and head back inside).

More recently, the car will be sitting in my driveway and it sounds like a "portion" of the alarm will go off. This bit is even weirder since it sounds like a really big balloon being squealingly drained of air (REALLY LOUD). I have to physically put the key in the lock and lock/unlock the car 5-10 times and it will finally shut up. A couple times I have had to acually disconnect the battery to silence the car. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger-side. It's not the beep-beep-beep of the alarm, but a constant shreiking noise that seriously sounds almost identical to a balloon being drained as loud as possible. If it didn't piss everyone in my neighborhood off every time it happened, I'd spend some time while it was going off to dig in and figure out what specifically is causing the noise. (I live a block from the local PD station, so they're kinda sensitive to the annoyance)

The other day I drove it 3-4 blocks to run an errand and upon starting it, the hazards were going off - about twice as fast as normal. Had to stop and restart the car 3-4 times and they stopped blinking.

What's even more of a pain is that when these mishaps occur, the trunks will both lock, so I have a hell of a time getting the hood open to disconnect the battery. (finally had to resort to the emergency pull-cable to get to the battery tonight)

Anyone have any ideas what kind of gremlin has possessed my lovely car?

Cheers,
-Chris
osifanatic is offline   Reply With Quote