View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
southernstar

Whippy, while the title of the thread uses the word 'classic', I have never used that term in my posts in relation to the 986. IMO 'collectible' is the best status they will ever attain. Is the oval window Beetle truly a classic? In view of the numbers produced up until 1957, I doubt it (alhtough an argument may some day be made in relation to the split window). Of course, the low-light Ghia was made in even smaller numbers and I never referred to mine as a 'classic' (and I owned my 57 until four years ago when, in a spirit of misguided generosity, I gave it to my father-in-law)!

To me the original 986 is rapidly becoming a collectible car in the sense that it was and will continue to be recognized as a significant achievement in automotive design and one that will have a significant place in the history of a recognized marque. Not coincidentally, I also expect the prices for good examples to eventually start climbing from what is, or should be virtually the nadir for the model. To me that is a potentially 'collectible' car, although I am prepared to accept that other's definitions and opinions will vary.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote