View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
southernstar

I too loved my 944, but the build quality on it was also questionable: as has been pointed out, various electrical problems, the huge rear windows/hatches becoming unsealed, corrosion problems where the front fenders met the bumpers and eventually in the rocker panels, lousy air-conditioning components, etc. I was not suggesting that the 986 will fetch what it cost new ( $50,000. or more in many cases), only that the prices have virtually bottomed for good examples and that over time they will start to rise.

The fact that new Boxsters remain popular does not mean that the price for an older one will always be depressed: there are a number of older 911's that are now selling for as much or more than new ones, even though their performance and comfort are worse in every respect. Within 7 1/2 years the 996 Boxster will be 25 years old and I fully expect there to be retrospectives on the car in various international automotive publications (just as with the 25 year and now 50 year anniversary of the 911). This should not only operate as a reminder of the incredible impression the car made when released, but it should also generate more interest in the cars as collectibles.

AS indicated, due to the huge inflationary rates of the 70's through 90's, I do not expect the 986 to fetch their original purchase price in the forseeable future. Simply put, while the original purchase price of Porsche 911's in the 60's and 70's seem ridiculously low if we do not adjust for inflation, due to almost historically low inflation rates in the last decade, the same cannot be said of cars purchased in that era. Still, just as the original Mustangs (which were produced in much higher numbers in the first 2 1/2 years of production than the entire model life of the 986) bottomed and started rising by the late 80's, I anticipate that we will start seeing a rise in price for the 986 within the next 7 or 8 years. For those who plan on hanging on to their cars, that is good news. And for those who don't, enjoy your car while you own it, run it into the ground and thereby reduce the supply of good examples, helping those of us who do!

Cheers!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote