View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
tomonomics

Garage
21 days? Wow, that's a lot of back roads and a large hotel budget, but I'll bite...

(and it would take at least that long to plot out the route, but personally I like to leave some parts of the journey to just get lost and wander.)

So, with 15 minutes of planning and Google maps, here's my route:

Day 1
Starting in NY, I’d head into Jersey and take Route 97 Along the Delaware in NY/PA, heading up to the Finger Lakes in NY (and a quick lap around the Old Course at Watkins Glen).
Day 2
From there head back down into PA, taking some backroads to Penn State to visit my niece.
Day 3
A straight shot to Pittsburgh, where I’d catch a game at PNC Park (or whatever the Pirates stadium is called now)
Day 4-5
Assuming this would be a Saturday, the next stop is South Bend for a ND game. Followed by a day in Chi-Town, and hey lets see the Cubbies while we’re there. Dinner and drinks with friends at Hugo’s Frog Bar.
Day 6
In a perfect world, the Packers would be playing on Monday night, so it’s a nice ride up the shores of Lake Michigan into Green Bay.
Day 7-8
Back down Rt 41 to Rt 151 and over the Mississippi...I’m sure there are some nice roads along the river. Some quality time in the heartland will put me just outside of Dyersville, Iowa where I’d walk through the corn rows at Field of Dreams.
Day 9-10
Back North along the Mississippi, then across Rt 14 making my way to Badlands National Park.
Day 11-14
Wyoming bound into Grant Teton and Yellowstone with my Nikon.
Day 15-16
North into Montana on Rt 93, and maybe some fly fishing outside Helena.
Day 17
Back down Rt 12 to 95 and make my way into Oregon.
Day 18
Some quality time in the Columbia valley wineries, then heading into Portland.
Day 19
Rt 26 to the coast, heading up 101 for a photo op at Leadbetter Pt State Park
Day 20
Arriving in Seattle, it’s dinner at the Crab Pot on Pier 57, followed by a few pints at Kells Pub.

Day 21-24
Extended trip.....it’s the ferry to Victoria, BC to see my cousin.

-T
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote