View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
pothole

H&R spring rates vs RoW M030

Hi guys

I may have asked this before, but does anyone know how the H&R spring rates for the 986 compare with RoW M030?

I managed to pick up a set of H&R springs for mega cheap and I already have an RoW M030 kit hanging around and going by a very rough measurement using a tape measure and eyeball, it looks like the coil is about 1mm wider on the M030 spring (didn't have any callipers handy), which is not what I was expecting.

I want the car lower than M030, but I definitely don't want softer springs. Was actually hoping for a bit harder.

If the H&R coils are indeed a little thinner, does this more or less guarantee it's softer? Is coil thickness pretty much the be-all and end all?

I also happen to have a left over custom made spring from my old BMW track day car and the comparison is quite amusing. The coil is miles thicker than either Porsche spring (and it's only a 450lb spring, which isn't that insane) and you can't bend it a mm by hand. I can squeeze the H&R spring and get quite a bit of deflection!