View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
haz

Thanks for alle replies. I have a feeling I will be spending some quality time hanging around here

I have had many German cars and mostly VW (old bugs but also newer ones) and BMW, and I always find my self a great forum to both contribute and for research

In regards to the hard top, I am quite sure this is the producer Porsche Boxster Hardtop : Porsche 986 - Prosche 987
The guy I bought the car from told me he ordered it and drove over to UK to collect and fit it to the car. It is supposed to have a Cayman look to it. I dont know if I prefer this to the standard hard top but.. Its a taste thing I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Welcome to the forums

That's a unique looking hardtop...I'd like to see more pictures of it.
Your vibration could be caused by any number of things, but a good place to start would be the wheels. Inspect tires and replace any that need replaced, then have the wheels balanced.
I'm not sure what an AC refill would cost in your area, but you should have the entire system inspected while you're at it.
FYI: It's not uncommon to have a leak(s) at the condenser coil or plumbing under the front bumper from curb scrapes.
I appreciate your input. I think starting with the wheels and balacing sounds smart.
The previous owner had a sharp angle from the front of his garage coming up to the garagedoor going over to the garage floor, so I know for sure it has plastic cover scrapes underneith. So I think you have a good point there! (The AC was refilled last summer so it must have some sort of a leak somewhere..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown986 View Post
Congrats on the new Boxster I just purchased my first last month. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine so far and I love the hardtop!
Hey, thanks!! Much obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Hope the first Boxster isn't your last. I have no experience with winter driving a Boxster, but others have posted no problems with winter tires unless you're driving through cover of 7 cm or more. Any depth greater, and you aren't driving; you're plowing.

Search the forum for DIY Do It Yourself on air filter, MAF and AOS for standard repairs.

And I have to comment that that is one sweeta$$ hardtop. Definitely not stock.

DBear
Thanks, feels good to be welcomed

We DO get at least 7cms snow, and more. But we will see.. I live downtown Oslo and I walk to work, and dont really neeed a car. This is purely out of interest that I prefer special cars.

Good input on the DIYs, I always appreciate people making them.

And I didnt expect such interest in my hardtop he he..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Congrats on the new Boxster. I just bought a Boxster a few weeks ago. Your Boxster looks like it has aftermarket LED tail lights.

I think refilling the AC system is an easy DIY. There's a writeup on pelicanparts.com. Hopefully that is the only cause of your AC not working.
Great! Congrats yourself

The previous owner bought the lights from Design911UK:
Light Upgrade Kit II. Porsche Boxster 986 *LHD Cars - LIGHTKIT17 | Design 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Congrats on very nice clean Box.I would start reading this forum for mechanical needs info on the IMS/RMS etc.My Box is same year and approx mileage and I did the IMS/RMS just for peace of mind.
Fantastic that you have the receipts.You may want to use a good leather conditioner on your seats to protect them.Hard to tell about your exhaust brand.Sometimes the manufacturer claims to offer more HP with the exhaust but it may be hard to confirm.

If the sound is cool,then enjoy it!

Your hard top is good looking and unusual.I personally would be reluctant to drive it in the snow due to risk of corrosion from road salts if this is used in your country and of course,accidents.What brand hard top is it? Is it fiberglass or metal?
Thanks! I did a lot of research before I ended up with this one. Thats one of the reasons I got a 2,7 and not a 2,5 and also it had a recent PPT and full service documentation.

Can I ask: how much did you have to spend on a IMS replacement / kit upgrade or whatever its called?

He did do a full leather treatment last sumer. So I will do one later also.

Check the link above for more specs on it. It is made out of fibreglass. It cost the previous owner 1200 UK pounds which equals around $1800
haz is offline   Reply With Quote