View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You need a set of Champion RS98, one piece forged wheels ! 19lbs for the rears 17.5lbs for the fronts !
^What he said. There is no substitute for forged, sub 20 lb. wheels! Anyone have $5,000 to help a brother out?

Heli guy,
winter: 997 Turbo replicas (heavy)
rest of year: 996 Carrera (light).
I also have 17" OEMs that I will use for Autox/DEs, more rubber.

word of caution about cheap wheels (like my replicas). These are heavy thus they can crack easily over rough roads.
Most vendors only sell Porsche replica wheels in sets of four and will not break up a set if you need just one. If they do they will charge full price which is about half the price you paid for all four. Sure you can try welding but if the wheel cracks again and the tire goes down (side wall shredding) you're buying a new tire which can easily cost as much as the wheel. Or multiply times four if the tire has been discontinued....
So you ended up buying all four replicas, plus an expensive replacement and another new tire. $1,300 down the hole and you still have to re-weld that cracked replica wheel a second time. Moral of the story consider forged or make sure your pressure cast wheel can be replaced on a per wheel basis. and if its neither forged nor pressure cast its probably way over-priced (unless free or bought used)... it WILL dent or crack eventually, the higher the weight the sooner this will occur on bad roads.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote