View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Oh, honestly!

What about "American cars can't turn" don't you guys get?

I haven't driven one yet with any kind of handling to speak of. Impressive in the straightaways, almost a full stop at the turn. That's why Nascar only goes left.

American cars can't turn, English cars don't last (only the old Land Rovers are the exception there), French can't build a car, period.

Let successful stereotyping be your guide.
I actually have the opposite feeling. GM/Dodge sports cars can pretty much lay claim (so aslong the GTR isn't around) to fastest time at any race track on any continent. If it's not the Viper destroying zee Germans the Corvette will come and finish off the rest. Now add this ZL1 tank to the 'bargain bin' of sports cars that allow any fairly skilled weekend warrior to look like a Porsche factory driver on the time sheets. In the case of the Corvette and ZL1 we're talking about pricing that can barely get you into a well spec'd Boxster/Cayman yet are matching the most expensive six fgure and up Porsches. And forget about modifying those Porsches to keep for just this kind of track abuse. You're into the nosebleed seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
No question, the ZL1 is much more capable (and expensive - you are really are getting into Boxster S prices, as we have discussed before). The handling is decent on tracks/smooth pavement, but I can guarantee that the car has nowhere near the precision or feel of the Boxster or Cayman S.

I am not knocking them - lets face it, Shelby Mustangs/Z28 Camaros etc. all went pretty well in the day compared with a number of far more exotic (and expensive) sports cars. All that horsepower and torque, even with a relatively primitive suspension that has stiffer springs, anti-sway bars and better shocks, can create some pretty good lap times. They ZL1 is a remarkably fast, if blunt instrument. The styling is - well to me, the dashboard looks like an overstyled video terminal with square gauges and, as has alread been pointed out, the high beltline makes for limited visibility. Still, if you are someone who believes that there is no substitute for horsepower, they are pretty good bang for the buck!

Brad
Style only counts for so much before you have to put up some laptimes that can justify some of these absurd prices we're seeing. And the kicker for me is the nonsensical warranty push back that Porsche give their owners who venture onto the track, despite paying six figures and higher.
One of the GT3 group directors was quoted like saying something along the lines of "[a lot of guys buy these GT3's specifically to use on the track. That's not what these cars were made for....This is like a race car for the street, it was not intended to take that kind of abuse]"
Strange, it sure is priced for that kind abuse.
GM want their drivers to learn how to drive on the track, while Porsche have been completely unambigous -- if your new, in-warranty engine goes kaput on the track, zee buyer is 100% responsible for all costs to replace their 24K gold engine.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote