View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Black Stallion

Do I have the right DME?

Hi, folks. I have a 2000 S that I bought last winter. While tinkering with the car, I apparently fried the DME. Rather than having the DME rebuilt, I purchased a DME/Immobilizer/Key Fob kit from a salvage yard, and installed it. It came from a 2002. The installation was successful, and I was able to run my car without problems (mostly).

Ever since the swap, my cruise control light has remained lit on the dash regardless of the button position on the stalk, but I have no cruise control. I have always attributed this to the thought that the "new" DME came from a car that didn't have cruise. I figured that I would just need to take it to the dealer to have the cruise map turned on in the DME. I had never bothered with it until now, as cruise is a luxury, and didn't really affect my driving.

However, in driving it this spring, I discovered that my A/C compressor doesn't seem to be working. I decided to take it to the dealer to fix the A/C and the cruise. The dealer states that he read a CAN-BUS error, and that my '02 DME is not compatible with my '00 car. I thought that I was fine, as long as I didn't get an '03+ DME. The salvage yard is willing to work with me to find a '00 DME, but they say that they have never heard of an issue like this.

SO, the big question is......do I need specifically an '00 DME/Immobilizer/Key Fob, or is there some other issue with my '02 DME?

Thanks for the assistance!
Black Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote