View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
natecooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
First, I own 3 other Enthusiast Cars all of which are Manuals. My Daily Driver is a Manual. I haven't owned or regularly driven an Automatic for over 25 years - I was thrashing my way around the Track and the Twisties when many of you were still trying to negotiate your Big Wheels around the Patio Furniture. After that length of time, Rowing becomes a Monotonous Chore, not the thrilling Phallic Extension it once was - until you've reached this point, you will have no idea what I'm talking about, but you will...
I understand your point of getting sick of throwing a shifter after years many, many years. I too will most likely sing that song with you someday, by your estimations sometime around 2020.

That being said, I don't have a "problem" with automatic sports cars (not just porsches, had the same thought with my other neighbors automatic 350z) it's more that it makes me sad. For these this reason:

As I stated earlier, people in my generation just simply don't drive sticks. They are, by in large, afraid of them. I have friends with mustangs and 350z's and everything else under the sun and not one of them has a stick. All guys under 30. Not ONE of these guys really gives a damn about their car. Most of them simply 'like the way they look'. Does that mean they shouldn't own the car? No, it's their money they can do what they want. Am I being an ass? Usually. But who here doesn't get a little sad when they see a killer sports car with an auto?