View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
southernstar

Andy, having driven a 981 Base with PDK and 19 inch wheels I agree with a number of your comments:

1. the quality of the interior materials is vastly superior.
2. I'm not sure if the turn-in seemed more sluggish, but the car definitely felt heavier and less 'tossable'. Of course, it IS quite a bit heavier than my car (2000 Base at 2780 lbs with 17 inch rims).
3. Braking felt comparable - great feel, easy to modulate and no perceptible fade.
4. The steering did feel a little numb by comparison - but then, I like the additional feedback (and even kickback over some bumps) just to let me know what is happening on the road.
5. The PDK is definitely state of the art. Unfortunately, it is an art that does not appeal to me. Yes, it shifts faster than I do. Yes, it seems to intuit the gear I want. Yes, it matches revs on downshifts better than I could ever do (and I take pride in double-clutching on every downshift). But to me, hearing the electronically controlled throttle blips began to make it seem like I was driving a video game!

In spite of all that, I still like the new 981. It is lighter than the 987, faster, more fuel efficient, better finished and, if not over-optioned, pretty reasonably priced. It also has a nicely integrated appearance that seems, if more generic than the 986, also more like an 'exotic' car. And who knows, if I had been driving an 'S' with a manual transmission, I might have even found the driving experience to be superior, in spite of the steering.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote