View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thot View Post
Hello All,
I have a 2001 Boxster S which 80% of the time starts flawlessly.
10% of the time makes a screeching noise lasting about 1/2 a second.
10% of the time does not start at all, I have to retry several time, extract the key, release the clutch, recite a spell, curse (none of which has probably any effect) and then it starts.

The screeching noise is like the ignition motor does not disengage promptly.

I showed to the dealer who checked and confirmed that indeed the noise is from the starter motor not disengaging which sometimes happens and there is nothing to worry about.

The non-starting sometimes is, according to the dealer, because the battery need replacement, which I can have it done for just $280 plus.
I have an OBD reader that gives me 13.5V when the car is running and 12.5V when it is not, which I understand is normal.

Questions for the wisest among you:
1) Do you think it is really the battery?
2) If that's the case, can I replace it myself without resetting the radio, remote entry, and who knows what else?
I might have the radio code, a 4 digit code handwritten by the previous owner on the front of the radio manual, but I'd like to avoid to find out that that's not it

The dealer told me that I can go ahead and replace the battery myself but that the airbag warning light will turn on, which I can have the dealer switch off for $80.
My OBD reader can probably do that as well.

So what do you think?
Shall I go ahead and change the battery?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!
Your problems sounds more like a sticking Bendix drive on the starter than a battery issue. This is a common problems and can easily be fixed by cleaning the drive and lubricating it.

Changing the battery will not trip and airbag code. That said, if you did have an airbag MIL come on, you cannot clear it with an OBD II scanner; only a PIWIS or the Durametric software will do that.