View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Perfectlap

I discovered my car on Ebay. Ironically it was only 15 minutes from my home at a local dealer that picked it up as a trade in with barely 9K miles. I worked out a deal with them offline and then to take advantage of some discounts and lemon guarantees from both Ebay and the finance company we relisted it on Ebay motors and I hit buy it now from their offices.
If that hadn't panned through I would have done something similar to what I guy in my local AX club has done, basically I would look for an excellent price on a still in warranty Boxster or Carrera, plenty of these type deals back in 2009 and 2010, called my local dealer told them I found a car and a seller, they could buy back the car, CPO it, I pay a bit more but get the extra coverage and whatever financing perks they were offering. The dealer makes money on the CPO for doing nothing and whatever other incentives on their end.

All that being said, while I would buy from Ebay again, I would not sell a car on there as a first course of action. Their commissions are unecessary if you can sell it locally on Craigslist or in the Porsche forum classifieds or even if you run and ad in a Porsche magazine.

Now something a bit underhanded that occurred to me once, but that I didn't do, was perhaps listing the car on Ebay with a very high buy it now option, one that would cover all fees and your best asking price. A price unlikely to prompt a sale. Then in one of the photos of your car posting a for sale sign in the car's window dash or seat, that had your email address (one you would set up just for this sale) and "or best offer after auction". This would get you some extra interest from someone who was really interested in the car. And of course you would make no mention of this in the ad's text despcription. Ebay might pull the auction but they would most likely return your $10 or whatever listing fee.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-26-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote