View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
stateofidleness

Tiptronic question (but ultimately about "lugging the engine")

Here's the scenario...

Access road light turns green, I take a left onto the overpass and continue straight on to a 45mph road. Well, on this particular section I like to accelerate "aggressively" and usually take it up to about 60or so and kinda "coast" down to the posted limit (not looking for a moral/ethical debate about "speeding" here )

Now, today, just as I cleared the overpass, there's one of San Antonio's finest sitting at the red light to my left. My revs are super high at this point (maybe 4500-5k) and I guess 3rd gear. I'm already doing 50. I quickly let off the gas (no brake) and car stays around 50 long enough for me to be "safe" from the cruiser. Then I continue accelerating just fast enough to get it to shift all the way up to 5th.

My question is.. is it "safe" for the Tiptronic transmission to stay in that high rev area like that "waiting" for the next "command" to be delivered from the driver's right foot? Is this the same as "lugging" the engine? If it's bad, what's the appropriate thing to do in that scenario (ie: accelerating quickly and need to quickly slow down or maintain that speed for a bit.. in a Tip)?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote