View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 AM   #14
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310
MN,

I've heard this arguement posed by Porsche blogs everywhere, does experience count to you for anything? I have used these types of filters in a wide variety of vehicles over a 25 year period with no negative effects. As stated before, my father was a mechanic and car dealership owner for 40 years, never saw a problem related to the report you posted. If you do not like the product don't use it. There are many race teams using K&N and BMC, it seems doubtful they do it just for sponsor money, especially if what you posted is true. If you insist on judging the care given to the vehicles by people who do use them go ahead, I'm not asking you to drive or purchase my vehicle. As far as the blown MAF's go, I have read a plethora of other Boxster problems, RMS leaks, total engine failures, electical ghosts, if I internalized everthing I read I'd sell the Porsche and run...
Hi,

The issue is Long-term Ill-effects. These are progressive and won't blow-up your motor on any particular Sunday. Many issues, like the MAF Failures, are often attributed to something else, all the while ignoring the Root cause. For what? For 2-5 Horsepower? To gain 1-2MPH on the Top End? To be Cool? To save a Buck?

Again, Racing is NOT the issue here, quite the opposite. Because of the extreme maintenance a Racing Engine receives, most of the ill-effects of using a K&N Filter are either avoided (Race Engines do not go 15k mi. on an Oil Change), or are considered part of the Cost of doing business - Engines are consumables in the Racing Industry.

I Race and Maintain a Formula Vee, have for years. I do not use a K&N on it, rather, I use an ITC Foam Filter which is even less restrictive, but safer with respect to backfires, etc. I recognize that the tradeoff is protection, that this filter offers very little short of keeping the Rocks out. In my application, protection isn't the most important issue, but in someone's Street Car, it should hold a greater priority, or be prepared to pay. Every Race Part or Mod isn't practical for Street Use.

It's amazing to me the near fanatical loyalty K&N's Marketing has generated, for what at best is only a couple Horsepower. People wouldn't think of scooping handfuls of Sand into their Intakes, but there's only a quantitative difference between doing that and using a K&N Filter - the Test PROVES this to be true.

Are you saying that the Filter doesn't pass 18 Times more dirt than the best performing Filter? Are you saying that there is no possible negative effect in doing so?

Like it or not, believe it or not, the testing speaks for itself. It was conducted by the very Company which makes the Testing Machines and follows a strict and Repeatable protocol. And, they had NO AJENDA. They didn't single out the K&N Filter, or promote any particular Type or Brand, rather they tested a range of available Filters and Filter Types. The fact that K&N performed so poorly is just what the results show.

The great thing about America, is that as a Consumer, you are free to go in the Face of these Test results and continue to use the Filter if you wish. But, this forum discusses issues and trends in hopes of aiding fellow Owners get the best experience possible from their machines. I am not telling anyone which Filter to buy, but to use a K&N Filter in the face of such definitive testing seems, at least to me, a poor decision. Face it, the Test pretty much ends the arguement, unless as I said, one is in denial...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-18-2006 at 08:10 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote