View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #19
faterikcartman

I did not read the original thread but if the guy who has your car in parts was not being honest/fair to begin with, I can only wish you the best of luck now that you've sued him while he still has your car in parts all over his garage.

I'm willing to bet a beer that even if you win and get the car back without a charge--actually, especially if you get the car back without paying--you're going to find that when it is all put back together with a new engine it still doesn't work or along the way the new mechanic will tell you X Y and Z are also shot.

Then you are going to be in quite a pickle when you try to sue the original hostage taker for fitzing with your car and have to explain in court that while the car didn't work, you had no idea what was wrong exactly, and sure it was in a thousand pieces, but you're sure parts X Y and Z were fine. AND, even if you win in that unlikely scenario you still have to worry about collecting and that puts you right back where you started when you didn't want to pay and get the car back and sue later.

I think this really highlights that one should never let their ride into a garage out of desperation and only well recommended mechanics should ever be allowed to put wrench to your car.

Incidentally, if the NJ mech is willing to put some sort of guarantee on the 40,000 mile engine and his work I think $6,900 might be a close to fair deal if they happen to be truly qualified to work on this car. For my money, however, assuming I wanted to keep the car, I would shell out the $9,000 or therabouts it looks like it would cost to have a rebuilt engine installed and bag the 40,000 miler.

Again, good luck and I hope fighting with this guy doesn't turn into the proverbial punching a tar baby situation. I'm reminded of something my first boss as a young attorney told me: "There's nothing I love more than clients with money and principles." Think about it.
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote