View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #55
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Not directing this toward you... but there's an oxymoron from who ever put that in writing...
You are either: a high performance summer tire or a high peforming snow tire.
There is no "high" nor "ultra high peformance" to be found running a tire that attempts to do both winter and summer.

And imho these tires are risky over ice patches in anything approaching high peformance speeds and standard performance cornering/turning. It's really nothing more than a watered-down summer tire that is only marginally better than a pure summer tire in freezing temps. And by marginally I mean a very very small advantage over summer rubber.

If you value your Porsche and don't live in a climate with abrupt changes from cold to warm and back to cold within a single season, then these tires are more about convenience than safety. And even the worst snow tire is still decent in warm weather should a heat wave break out during the middle of winter.

So what you're saying is that a Blizzak or say a Hakkapeliitta R2 is the in the same class? As someone whose driven on both, I can say they are great winter tires, but not something I'd want to drive on full time. I disagree with your notion that it's either this or that with no in between. Tread compounds can be formulated across a great range (silly nomenclature notwithstanding). Summer tires are just that, good for a fairly narrow temp range and down right dangerous below certain temps. While DSWs et. al. are a bit noisy and lesser performing in the summer months in the spring and fall where the day starts at 30df and reaches 65df by late afternoon, what do you drive on?...Blizzaks? That would be a waste.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote