View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #607
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Yesterday was on a mountain drive with the PCA club in San Diego. Suddenly my wife yells out, there's smoke coming out the back. Low and behold I see lot of white smoke and pull over. Immediate thoughts of oil burning!!!

Fortunately one of the group leaders saw me and stopped. Needed his fire extinguisher for a small spot of oil burning. No damage from it thankfully.

Recently I just did my IMS and RMS, so I immediately thought something I did failed. So AAA came to the rescue and towed us home about 60 miles. Got the car off the bed of the truck and started up just fine. But felt no steering.

Turns out it was the Power Steering fluid that was smoking and not the engine oil :dance:

Turns out its a common problem when you install aftermarket headers. Seems the pressure line for the power steering tends to rest up against the header. The heat melted the hose and cause it to leak.

Advice to everyone who had aftermarket headers - check the driver's side and make sure the power steering hose is NOT resting against the header.

So today, I had the pleasure of removing the hose. Not hard, but not easy. You have to loose the AC compressor so you can wiggle the PS line from behind it. So hopefully I will have the replacement hose this week so I can get her back together.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote