View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
boxslrr
The Legend

I don't know anything about racing (nor do I claim to) but I'd like to share an idea I've had for a while.

What if, theoretically, somebody could design just the rear half of a "Cayman-style" hardtop, which mounts together with the factory hardtop and replaces the deck lid?

It would require some innovative mounting technology, probably utilizing the mounting ports for the "Roof Rack" accessory, but be much cheaper to produce. It would be mostly an aesthetic piece, fitting with either an aluminum factory top or a lightweight aftermarket (fiberglass? CF?) top for racing purpose, so there would not need to be two separate (street and track) models. For street use, the sound/weatherproofing has already been worked out courtesy of our friends at Porsche.

This "half-top" is much cheaper to produce as it is smaller and merely external. As a result it should (theoretically) sell more units to owners. Part of the hesitancy of buying a Zeintop or a full custom "Cayman-style" top is the fear of being left with a custom product the owner cannot get rid of when he sells the car. With a "half-top" the owner still retains a factory hardtop, which is easier to sell and retains its value.

Is this feasible?
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote