View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
kjc2050

Garage
New switch is installed and works perfectly, 24 hours after my initial post.

All in all, what seemed like a nightmare turned out to be not all that bad. I wouldn't rate it in my Top 10 Experiences of All Time, but it beats getting a root canal or having your mother in law visit for a week.

For the record, I'm about 5'9", weigh about 165 lbs, and am right handed.

A few thoughts:

Finding the right screwdriver is essential. I started out with a "standard" hardware store mini flat blade screwdriver, and it just looked like it would be impossible to use. In retrospect, I was right. I went to an Ace Hardware and looked at every small screwdriver they had. Just as I was about to give up, I noticed a cheap 4 blade plastic screwdriver with a pocket clip selling for the princely sum of $2.99 (first pic).

I cut the handle in half with a coping saw, and then trimmed one of the pieces further; the 2nd pic shows what I used for this project.

Also, as I think someone pointed out, the factory paints each screw with red lacquer. You need to scrape off the lacquer to make any progress. As you try to find the slot in the screw, you'll end up removing the lacquer.

I did the screw on the console side first. (Keep in mind I'm right handed.) Holding the cut down screwdriver in my right hand and cocking my hand backward, I was able to get the first screw backed off fairly easily. The whole thing took about two minutes. The underside of my right forearm pressed against the lower edge of the dash quite a bit, and got scraped up as a result. No biggie, however.

The door-side screw was harder. I had to push deeper into the footwell before I could get the screwdriver oriented properly. Eventually, after a few minutes of trying, I caught the slot in the screw and was able to turn it a few turns. Tugging on the old switch, it was clear it was ready to come off.

I actually used my left hand to pull the switch: it seemed I had a bit more leverage with that hand.

The new switch installed quite easily. Please note that the switch can only go in one way: one of the tabs is thicker than the other. Tightening the console side screw was easy. For the other screw, I again had to push as deeply into the footwell as I could (my clutch pedal was hitting my forehead) so I could see the edge of the tab the screw is in and occasionally glimpse the screw itself. I HELD THE SCREWDRIVER WITH MY LEFT HAND and in two attempts was able to tighten that screw. (I turned the screwdriver with my left hand as I kept it in place/applied pressure with my right index finger.) YMMV, but using my left hand proved to be easier when installing that screw.

Next I reinstalled the electrical connector and heating/cooling duct, and the new switch works perfectly. Oh - I forgot to mention that I used a small LED "flashlight" for the project, sometimes resting it on the brake and clutch pedals, sometimes holding it in one of my hands. An LED headlamp would be much, much better!!

As with all difficult projects, taking your time and making sure you don't get frustrated is important. Hope this helps someone else!!
Attached Images

Last edited by kjc2050; 09-25-2013 at 09:30 AM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote