View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Spinnaker

When I replaced my switch, I had the same problem with my arm being too long to get the screw driver into position. With my elbow resting on the floorboard, I had to bend my wrist down so much that I couldn't turn the screw driver. I found a posting about going through the dash to loosen the screws, that of course, I can't find anymore.
Basically, you remove the left hand cover of the dash (part #4 in 1st pic). There are 2 torx screws on the outside edge near the door seam. You will need a short handle torx driver because there is not enough room to fit a regular length handle between the door and the dash.
Then you remove the light switch knob, there is a screw hidden on the bottom. Take out one more torx screw that was hidden under the knob, and if I recall correctly, the dash piece will come off now after you dissconnect the electrical connector.
It will expose the left elbow end of the AC duct (#6 - 2nd pic). It is held on by a single phillips screw to the firewall. You can see the screw by looking into the hole in the ducting. Remove that screw and the duct, and the ignition switch will be right in front of you. Be careful when you remove the duct screw. If you drop it, it can fall behind the carpet padding and the wire bungles, to never be seen again.
You just reach in through the hole in the dash to loosen the switch set screws and to replace the broken switch.
I keep a spare ignition switch, a short handle torq driver, and the small screw driver in a plastic bag that is stored with the tool kit. Never know when the ignition switch will go out again. The last time it broke, I was 12 miles from home, and the spare switch was sitting in the workshop at home. I have a 2000S and I am on my 3rd replacement switch.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 06-12-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote