View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Tortuga

Don't Fix Your Ignition Switch

So recently a fine upstanding citizen stole my 98 Boxster, stuffed a 43 inch flat panel in it with the top *up*, and took it for a joyride.

As I watched him drive away (not kidding - I didn't realize it was mine) I had two thoughts:
(1) That dude is murdering that clutch
(2) That's a good looking car! I should get it mine out and wash it.

Well, my car, and my clutch.

Police found it the next day and told me it was upside down. Serious depression ensued since the car only had 45k miles. I steeled myself for a ridiculously low check from my insurance company, and felt slightly better that the Boxster exacted some revenge on the thief.

After about four weeks of bureaucratic run around, I got my eyes on the car and it was, well, perfect. Not a scratch. Much dust, but no scratches. Even my blanket and industrial strength window scraper were present.

Since my broken ignition switch required absolute precision placement to get the headlights to work, I think the thief found himself cruising in the dark, in a stolen car with no headlights and dumped it at the first opportunity.

Moral of the story - don't fix your ignition switch, since it's a nice anti-theft device!

Sub-moral - lazy man who doesn't fix his car profits from inaction!

I also seem to be developing a strange attraction to old 944s and 968s on ebay, which may or may not be related to the trauma of watching my own car get stolen.
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote