View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
cheetah

A few years ago I had a catastrophic engine failure on my 02 S. There might still be the thread with photos on the forum. Talking with Raby, it was determined the engine was toast (even sold him some of the spare parts).

I found an 3.4L engine from a dealer that had just been taken out of a 06 Cayman. The owner was having a 4.0L installed in that car! The engine had been looked over, ran perfectly, tested well, had the deep sump kit installed, and was mine that day for $4000 for everything minus the wiring harness (since the Cayman owner still needed it).

So there are deals to be found. I was lucky though. I completed the swap mechanically pretty easily (spacers to lower the engine because of the taller intake) and figured out the wiring with some help of a few others on this board.

The engine stock has 295hp, but has most of the available performance mods and a custom tune on it so power is higher and the car is definitively quick.

To me it was worth it. In the future, I might go another route for more power (Audi 4.2L?). Unfortunately, all choices for you now involve a lot of money.