Thread: Another RMS
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #24
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
I'm not attempting to whitewash or minimize anything; I was just trying to recount the reported fixes that have been attempted--largely to no avail--and take a stab at what the real fix would entail.

Am I saying that Porsche should not be held accountable for defective products?--NO WAY, and I didn't infer it! I am saying this isn't an easy fix--or they would have already done it and it will probably take a new engine design to get rid of the problem.

So then the question becomes, what should Porsche do for the people that have bought their product and been adversely affected by this bad design?
I would think a extended warranty on the engine--10 yr/100K(?)--would be a good faith offer of trying to do the right thing. If there really isn't a RMS problem, it won't cost them anything; if there is a problem, they will retain customer loyalty for making sure the customer doesn't pay for Porsche's mistakes. The bottom line should be to make the customer whole if there is a failing with the product, especially since they've get the production lines running while attempting to fix it.
Makes me think of the 986 sleeved engine issue, but I digress..

Anyway, there is plenty of precedent for an extended warranty for engine problems; MB and BMW both had engines problems with some of their models and offered extended warranties to address customer concerns. It's not a perfect fix--there never is--but it would give an owner some breathing room if he wants to keep the car for 10 years or to sell it with a warranty in the same period.

Are we done here?
Mike,

I agree with you and wasn't taking a PotShot at you at all. There is just a disgusting lack of OUTRAGE from most quarters on this issue.

Porsche is supposed to be one of THE Car Manufacturers, but couldn't prove it with this fiasco. As I've said (AD NAUSEUM to some I know...) Even KIA got this Part right.

Extended Warranty would certainly help. Paying for the Repair would as well. But, good as your suggestions are, they seem to be falling short of the Ears in the Boardroom in Stuttgart, at least currently.

Earlier someone remarked about the Reliability of Lotus (which I also own) and I agree that it is sub Par, but everyone knows this and believes that the Performance outweighs the severity of it - it is NOT one of the reasons you Buy one. But, to their Credit, Lotus does not abandon their Customers, even those buy Used. When Former President and CEO of LotusUSA (Arne Johnson) stops by your house when in town for a Family Wedding to help with a problem you're having, that's Service! (We fixed it too..!!) But Porsche is supposed to have a reputation for reliability and responding to Customer needs, it IS one of the reasons you Buy one... is this a thing of the Past?

So, Mike, you have proposed a fair and equitable solution... How do we get the Message to Porshe..?? Until we do, the issues remain... PEACE!!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-16-2006 at 02:35 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote