View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
b-raddetail

2nd engine failure 2500miles later.

Hi guys, I have a 2003 base Boxster with 39,000 miles. Last summer I had a valve-train failure. The top end was rebuilt with new oil pumps lifters, lifter body, camshaft. After diag, repair, re and re it came to $13k after tax. Other things were done like clutch, RMS and imsb.

I put 1000 miles on it last fall after the repair. Pulled it out this spring an have been enjoying the car with no problems. A few weeks ago I was on a spirited drive with my local shop. Was driving pretty enthusiastically to keep up to the higher Hp cars but nothing excessive. In 3rd gear under full throttle at about 5000 rpm the was a clunk and stutter, clutch in and by the time I got to a stop the engine was dead and smoking.

I went to get it checked out locally and read p1341 inlet camshaft bank 1 fault. I was thinking it was something in the last rebuild that failed. I loaded it onto the trailer and towed it 4+hours down to the shop that rebuilt it. They dropped the oil pan and saw that I had two broken connecting rods.

He thinks it may be a D chunk failure but do not know until or if we disassemble. Any other ideas?

No warranty since it was not on the parts they replaced. They do have a Cayman S engine with 60,000 miles on it. They pulled it out to build a race car and now have it laying around the shop.

I have spent lots of time researching for prices of used Cayman engines but have come up pretty dry. Also is there much in the way of modifications needed for the swap or is it pretty straightforward? What do you think I should be paying for a 60k engine?

I think it would be really cool to have 70hp bump, but will I just be looking at more headaches and bills down the road?

Would the newer and more powerful engine increase the value of my car? Or decrease it because it has higher miles?

What would the car be worth with the broken engine. 2003 40k mi in awesome condition in and out?

Lots of questions, but if people can help me out with any of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

The last picture of her intact.

b-raddetail is offline   Reply With Quote