View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
kashmir
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed View Post
Hi all,

I think that the water pump is failing in my car but I thought I would post my symptoms before I start tearing things apart.

My car is a 1997 boxster and it runs great, but if I get stuck in traffic once the car is warmed up she runs a bit hot. The gauge reads at the top end of the 0 in 180. Once I can get moving it cools right down and is back in the 8 of 180 and stays there. If I blast the heater it cools down as well.

I cleaned an amazing amount of junk out of the radiators and that made it better but I still think it's running too hot. I am not loosing any coolant and I don't have any intermix. I have done a recent oil change.

I get the feeling that the pump is on it's way out. I have heard that people have had the vanes break on the pump, is there any way to check with out removing the pump? Does this sound like a failing pump? I was also thinking that the thermostat could be stuck.

Thanks,

Reed
I'm seeing this a lot on 97's, on mine I have replaced everything, cleaned everything, and it still runs hot. Starting to think that the cats are getting clogged so will try test pipes to see if she will run cooler.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote