View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
southernstar

JD, I've been waiting for some naysayer to suggest that with your moniker, 'Johnny Danger', they would have expected nothing less! Of course, I suppose the correct response would be to say that you are not 'Johnny Stupid'!
And MarkT, at least my mechanic talked me out of making the same mistake on my waterpump. Let's face it, if I had followed the advice of some and replaced my pump at 50,000 miles as a prophylactic, I'd be on my fourth pump by the time I reached the 200 and some thousand miles that Pedro ( of pedrosboard) has on his original waterpump!

If you have a dual-row bearing engine - especially one with a good service history with respect to oil changes (which by all accounts will bring the risk even lower than 'much less than 1%') - why not just drive the car as it was meant to be driven and ENJOY IT? When you need a new clutch, then make a decision. Afterall, the cost of additional labour is negligible at that point. Until then, keep in mind that there are a number of things that can go wrong with the car - including, as Raby points out, other potentially fatal engine problems that won't be corrected by a new IMS bearing.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote