View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
southernstar

thom, it strikes me as intuitively obvious that pressure fed lubrication is superior to splash as it will be continuous as the vehicle is being operated, regardless of whether you are cornering, accelerating, decelerating, etc. Obviously, LN also believes so as they have also gone to pressure feed in its new 'solution'. We have come a long way since the Ford Model T, which I believe used splash feed rather than pressurized oil for the main bearings.

As to re-installing a perfectly fine bearing, I have never understood LN's prohibition except as a means of selling additional, rather expensive bearings. As I understand it, the tool from LN is designed to install the bearings without damaging them (if not, what is the use of the tool?). If the bearing is undamaged upon removal and inspection, then what is the problem? Indeed, Excellence magazine editors recommended that in order to extend the original IMS bearing's life expectancy, one should remove the original bearing's inner seal in order to allow it to be splash lubricated. How does one do that without re-installing it?

Certainly I agree (and said so in my second and third posts in the thread) that one can install both the direct feed and a new LN ceramic (or Pelican) bearing if needed, or if one so chooses out of an abundance of precaution.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 06-05-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: additional info.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote