View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
San Rensho- I've never broken an easyout- did you tap it down too hard? I should mention that the age-old method is to drill it out to the TAP DRILL SIZE . Then retap the thread. The remains of the nipple will be just a wire, essentially, and be displaced by the tap. I prefer the method I stated earlier. Once the hole is there the walls are thin enough to bend inward and collapse, leaving the remnants for you to pry or twist out. If an easyout or drill brakes off and you can't get it out than your going to have to get another caliper. A carbide tipped drill would be an option but only if your doing it yourself. I should add that I used to be a machinist a life time ago and that this kind of work was a daily thing for me. I never used those 'easyouts' but they do have their place. Most mechanics are very well versed in these types of repairs but can easily tell the customer that they need a new part, just as well.
I did it all wrong. As soon as the nipple broke off, I didn't drill it out, I just got a tiny easy out and torqued on it till it snapped. Live and learn.

Thanks for the tips, getting broken fasteners out requires a bit of rocket surgery.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000