View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
woodsman

Wow those pressure washers can do a lot of damage! If they get under anything they'll peel it right off- like paint and Porsche crests. - I've done it!
When you say 'inside' the wheels, I wonder if you're talking about the inner rim or in the nooks and crannies? I'm currently refinishing my wheels and the inside of the barrels are black with brake dust and seem impossible to get clean with usual methods. I've decided to switch to Akebono pads to rid myself forever of brake dust as my wheels are way to difficult to clean everyday. I have found that 220 grit, wet sandpaper does an excellent job,as does a wire brush ( must use water though because of the extremely toxic dust) Now that they're aluminum-coloured again I'm not sure if I'll just clearcoat them,or if I'll spray them wheel- colour silver (to make them look like new) and then clear them but you shouldn't use these methods without clearcoating them as ,unpainted, they'll oxidize and begin braking down. So I guess I haven't really answered your question but introduced a process of recovery- if all else fails.