View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
MBDiagMan

Another IMS Thread

In my search for a Boxster I found a 2001 with last six VIN digits 623284. I still haven't figured out if it is two row or single row. The information in the SN class action suit thread is confusing to me.

The second IMS worry is the fact that this car has been on the dealers crowded lot since October. The oil doesn't look dirty, but it doesn't look fresh either. I expect that this car has LOTS of starts after which the engine was shut down a minute or so later. Not a good life for any engine.

Given the apparent large number of quick engine runs, it is easy to imagine a sludgy situation resulting from it. Beyond the normal bad things from such usage, in this case it sounds as if this could be setting up a bad situation for the IMS bearing.

I like the car in many ways, and have started trying to set up a PPI for it, but this is a set of circumstances that concerns me.

BTW, this is in Texas, so the car didn't set in the Snow All Winter or anything.

More information. I have plenty of general auto experience, a two post lift and plenty of equipment to work with. When I buy a used car it gets an immediate and thorough going over including fluid and filter changes, etc., so it would be getting an immediate oil change with a thorough drain after a full warm up with a follow up oil change soon after to help remove sludge. I live over a hundred miles form the city so putting the car on the lift is not practical before purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hope to soon be among the lucky few driving a Boxster.

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 06-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote