View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
shadrach74

Low temp thermostats

I decided to start a separate thread to continue the discussion that grew out of Kashmir's low temp install thread(sorry for the hijack).

I have been working on cars, airplanes and motorcycles for many years, but my knowledge of Pcars is pretty basic. I say this because the reasoning for this three is not to argue, but to help me (and others) learn.

A special thanks to JFP for saving me from my over confidence in both my diagnostic and repair capabilities regarding what I thought was a leaking cam cover but turned out to be a oil pressure switch that was puking oil through the blade connector on the switch.

Anyway. The poll is what it is, I am more interested the reasoning behind the answers.

I am confused because I have seen the following stated (I've paraphrased for the sake of brevity) on this forum about low temp thermostats (LTT).

"LTTs make your car run cooler"
"LTTs can give you more power"
"LTTs make you your car heat up faster"
"LTTs cause your HVAC system to produce heat faster in the winter because the thermostat opens sooner"
"The stock thermostat is not all the way open at normal operating temps"
"These cars have hot spots exceeding 210df under normal operating condition that will not open the stock 186df thermostat"

I could go on but I'll stop for now.

I've already explained in the other thread my thoughts on why LTTs are snake oil, but I could be wrong...

So I'll start off with this question:

1) If the LTT allows hot coolant into the heater core sooner, that must mean that the heater circuit on Boxsters is not independent of the thermostat (radiator circuit) as it is with most other modern vehicles... is this the case? And if so... Given that the stock thermostat does not open adequately in summer, how is it that I ever get heat on a 35 degree fall morning?

Once I understand this, I'll move on to my other questions...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote