View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
southernstar

Len, the dual-row IMS bearing would be a significant factor in any decision I made - and that means you need to have the engine serial numbers checked (for the 3.2, up to #M 671 11237).
The 2000 is more likely to have it than the 2001, especially if it was produced early in the model year ( the single-row bearing was not introduced until part way through the model year - thereafter, for a period, some had dual-row and some single).

If the car at the Porsche dealership was largely serviced there, they should be willing to reproduce the records for you - and that is a real plus. I would also ask for a printout to check on over-revs, etc. In my experience, the advantage in buying a used Porsche from a dealership is that most will only sell ones that they feel are decent cars. The ones they don't like generally go to auction. Why? If you buy a bad Porsche from a BMW dealer, they can say "Sorry, you should have bought a BMW." If you buy it at a Porsche dealership, they can't denigrate their own brand. Furthermore, as the entry level Porsche sports car is a used one, they don't want to turn off potential future customers.

It is also a good sign, IMO, that the car was owned by someone who serviced it at the same dealership and traded it in for another Porsche. In my experience, Porsche dealerships will often be prepared to give you some kind of a short-term guarantee on a used Porsche. If they do (even if it is only 30 days, bumper to bumper), that should provide some additional comfort that there are no patent defects that they are aware of.

Since there are 51K on it, you may also want to speak to them about including the 60K service as it will cost over 1K.

Good luck!

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 05-28-2013 at 04:52 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote