Thread: Used Engines?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
kashmir
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I am new to the forum and have done lots of reading and studying thus far. Great group with lots of knowledge and savvy.

I started looking into these cars and weighing the feasibility of using one for my commute. I live in the country with 22 miles to town over curvy, hilly, lightly traveled road. A car like this would make driving to and from work a fun part of the day.

I am learning about RMS and IMS problem potential and the consequences. I am trying to look ahead at the possible alternatives in the event of an engine failure.

I grew up in my Dads independent auto shop and have done lots of car work for many years. I have a very complete home shop with 2 post lift and about any equipment I would ever need.

Where I'm going with this is that it appears that there are lots of used engines available in the three to four thousand dollar price range. Should the engine fail, it would seem that buying a good used engine and doing the IMS mod before putting it in could be a good approach.

Has anyone ever tried this approach?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Doc
I feel most of the eBay motors out there are way overpriced and it a waste of money to install a stock motor, I find it better to get a solid car then have jake build a bomb proof engine for, it will last longer and perform like a porsche should.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote