Thread: Another RMS
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Ref. RMS & intermediate shaft failure.
Can't say that I have heard of a similar case of catastrophic failure, in which the failure mode was sitting in the garage at night, (presumably) not even running.
If that happens to you, MNBoxster, you can at least fall back on your Lotus.
Now THERE'S a marque with an impeccable reputation for reliability.
Hey,

No arguement here about the Lotus. I have owned 3 previously and spent nearly as much time under them as in them - the Payoff was when you actually were in them - Lotus makes an incredible Machine and actually owns the Most Wins as a % of Races Started in F1, at least they did until Ferrari's latest run, maybe they still do..

Surprisingly, my Turbo Esprit has been reliable as a Honda (rare I grant you and not shared by my other Esprit Buddies)... in 15 years ownership, it has never failed to start, nor has it ever left me stranded - Never seen a Tow Truck.

Given that it's essentially '60's technology, it does have a heavy Maintenance Schedule - Oil every 3k, Plugs every 5 k, Carb Tune every 3-5k mi., Valve adjustment every 10k (a true B*tch - inverse Bucket Tappets w/ shims), Timing Belt every other year, etc. It eats Tires much faster than the Boxster. Mine is a 1985 Mid-Year model - 1 of 61 Built as Test Mules for Lotus Engineering. Esprits from those years are pretty rare anyway as the Production Run (not including these 61) was only 200/yr - compare that to Ferrari's 4,000/yr.

But, despite all the Performance Cars I have ever owned or driven, the Esprit is the closest I have come to High Performance Flying since I left Pax River Flight Test Center and my old F4 PhantomII. A Porsche truly doesn't even come close, nor does any other Car I've owned. This Esprit is simply intuitive, it's an extension of you. Hard to explain, or accept, unless you've driven one.

So far as my friend's Boxster S, I assume he drove it hard (his style) and parked it without realising that the RMS had broke loose and the fluid drained out overnight.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-13-2006 at 11:26 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote