Thread: Used Engines?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Here's a great story.. The "seller" was a forum member here.

Buyer Beware: Used "Low Mileage" engine nightmare

Today most used engines are not that at all.. They are repaired engines that had a failure. Once the salvage yards learned how to "fix" these engines the entire breed of "used engines" was compromised.

Unless you pull it out of the crashed car yourself, don't trust it.. All the "good used" engines have 50K miles and came from a car hit in the front. Yeah. Right.
Sorry. What?

I don't buy that this is a widespread or common problem. I'm sure people often lie about mileage. But most used engines are just that. Engines pulled from written off cars. There are plenty of those these days. It takes almost nothing to write these cars off. Any kind of light tap will have them written off, the values are so low.

The engine in your link apparently stated in the eBay listing that it had been messed with, so it was clear enough that it wasn't a straight pull. Moreover, where ever you live, there are typically some reliable sources for used engines (perhaps at a bit of premium). Just as I'm sure you don't lie to customers, believe it or not there are other businesses who do not lie to customers and if they say it's just a straight used engine, it's just a straight used engine.

Really, would have to describe this as scare mongering.

Last edited by pothole; 05-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote