View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
shadrach74

Disclosure: Please do not judge me based on this true story, I realize that reading the events may give some the impression that I'm a complete Jackass, which at times I am. My only defense is that I've not had an at fault in nearly 700,000 miles and 20 years (since I was teen)...

It's a long story but bare with me.

The first day I got my 02 S was a bad day. Front tire flat (middle of nowhere) in the first 40 miles of my 150 mile trek home. had to limp back 20 miles into PA to find a matching Conti DWS'.

I was on my way back to work after taking the morning off to buy the car and at this point running late...

Finally after huffing it a bit, I find myself safely on I70 westbound from Baltimore. I'm about 2 hrs behind schedule and making between 75 and 80mph.

I'm in the left hand lane with open road when a gold colored cross over (I think it was a Chevy Equinox) with dark tint pulls out in front of me and hits the brakes slowing to 50MPH...

I flash him the high beams and he speeds up to about 85 and gets back int the right hand lane. Just as I'm about to pass him, he pulls infront of me again and were down to 55mph.

I flash the highs again and speeds up to 70ish as I stay behind him.

I flash again (I wanted to be closer to 80ish and hate passing on the right) and he hits the brakes down to almost 50mph.

Frustrated as he decelerates to the high 40mph range, I decide to make a right lane pass.

Big throttle blip all the way down to second (for drama)... red line...3rd gear... red line as I change back to left lane (both lanes wide open, no traffic)... 4th gear... I glance at the speedo! Holy $hit, I'm acceleration through 127mph on the digital.

I look back to see how far back the poor joker is that I just dusted off (never made eye contact)... He's quite a ways back! It's then that I notice the blue and red lights flashing in his grill and on his folded down sun visor (portable LED)

I throw my hands up and pull over to a complete stop by the time he's within 100yds of me and keep my hands where he can see them.

He gets out of his truck (40ish yrs of age), badge on a chain around his neck and briskly walks to the car.

Me (sheepishly): "Good afternoon officer."

Cop (aggressively): "So how many tickets would you like sir?"

Me: "None?"

Cop: "License and Registration."

Me: "I just bought the car sir, that's a dealer tag but the car is insured and I have my license right here."

Cop: "For now, but maybe not for long... WHAT is your problem? You're driving like a teenager in heat. I was doing 105mph and you were pulling away hard..."

Me: "I don't think I was going that fast sir. I admit that there is no excuse for what I was doing. I had the top down, I'm behind schedule and was just driving at what felt comfortable. I know that I was driving like an ass"

Cop: "Wait right here. You can put your top up if you want...you look a little burnt."

Me: "Thanks..." (I look in the rear view and realize my face is lobster red and I had no idea until just then)...

15 mins passes, during which I call my Fiance to tell her that I may need her to pick me up from jail.

Cop gets out of his truck with my licence and some paper work and starts walking towards my car with a very mean look on his face. I'm preparing for the worst, but just as he gets to my rear fender his face softens into a smirk as he reaches my window he breaks into a full smile and says...

Cop: "it's always nice to surprise someone like you with a warning Mr. Vixxxx. Have a good day and stay out of the sun for the next week. If I every catch you out here driving like this again, I WILL TAKE YOU TO JAIL! Have a nice day and SLOW DOWN..."

Me (in utter stunned disbelief): "Thank you...I mean thank you for your under..." He nods and walks away as I continue babbling about my appreciation...

He was in fact the coolest Policeman I've ever encountered...even if he did egg me on a bit (something neither of us mentioned).

Last edited by shadrach74; 05-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote