View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #25
EssexPorsche

Garage
All those 'non handbrake users' would fail your driving test in the UK.
Its mandatory!

Things have changed a little since i passed. When i started driving, the car had to be in neutral and hadbrake applied in any stationary situation including traffic and stoplight.

The reason is, if someone rear ends the queue, everyone will hit everyone.
The impact will jar your feet off the pedals, the car will lunge and stall. From there on in its like dominos. 10 cars with damage instead ofr maybe 3.
Multiple claims, multiple liabilities.
Also at a stoplight...if the lead car lurches forward due to rear end collision, pedestrians could get hurt.

Secondly holding a car on the cluch WILL dispose of your clutch in a much shorter time frame.

Letting an auto hold itself WLL destroy the torque convertor (or equivalent) in a much shorter time frame.

Finally @2003s, i sensed some humour in your comment - as i have to say if you rolled back into my car...for whatever reason.... I'd be rolling up on you! ya dig.

The skill is knowing when to use it and when not, combining all levels of control and coordination to provide the best driving experience whilst attempting to mitigate damage to others (cars and people) and prolonge the car's components.

I wonder if THStone had his parking brake applied when his car was rear ended!?

Last edited by EssexPorsche; 05-24-2013 at 05:29 AM.
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote