View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
AKnowles

No, I'm not perfect. And yes I have driven in SF too. Nor am I saying that using a hand brake occasionally for safety is wrong, but what I am saying is using it all the time is wrong. As I stated previously, I've had at least two instances of someone rolling back in to my car (at least 5~6 feet behind them roll back in to me because they couldn't control their vehicle without the hand brake and even with it couldn't get their vehicle moving forward properly. Why? Because they didn't know how to either use the heel toe method to start their vehicle or just time it peroperly (i.e. let go of the brake and push in the gas while slipping the clutch to move their vehcile). Thier lack of skill is a detriment to other drivers.

I see a lack of skill in this regard the same way I do someone who no longer has the capability to drive propelry due to age, illness, or other infirmity to drive. I've been rear ended twice in my life by people that lacked the skill to drive (poor reactions) in this way. So, maybe I am too harsh in this area, but then again I'm the opne that wound up suffering for thier inability to drive. FWIW, boith time I was rear ended in this regard I reported the drivers to DMV. On their DMV restest they failed and thier drivers license was revoked. I considered that a public service so someone else wouldn't wind up rear ended. When I can no longer drive safely, I will volenteer ro give up my license so as not to be a public menance.