View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
trygve

cool! welcome!

Joe, we have a good bunch of nor cal SPB cars and drivers now. I sort of went through the same process as you, with my daily driver bought new, turned DE then TT then track car / race car, and then finally SPB to start 2012.

If you are on Facebook, shoot me a PM with your info and I'll add you to the BSR group there and you can meet the locals. We'll be at Buttonwillow this weekend and Laguna Seca June 21-23.

The factory top should be gutted, and if combined with a Lexan rear window won't be too heavy. However, the fiberglas tops are better and if you are a bit patient you can probably sell your factory top for as much as a fiberglass top & window will cost. Since you are not in a hurry I'd recommend the Sheridan top since it is a noticeably better "fit and finish" than the GT Racing top. You must wear arm restraints if running a non-factory top.

The nor cal go-to guy for cages is Tony Colicchio at TC Design in Milpitas. He's done many and gets the cage nice and tight up against the a-pillars, etc. for more driver space. Tony actually asked me whether I was going factory or fiberglas because he could push a little more space with the fiberglas, I think because even a gutted factory top takes a little more space inside somewhere.

I did nearly all of the stripping of the car myself in my garage, so I can answer questions on that topic pretty well. My car was just 25 lbs over minimum on the PCA scales at COTA recently, so for a driver cooling system's weight to be "free", I need to drop 40 lbs more.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote