View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Wilson01S

Well I ended up bringing the car home and tearing into it myself. I first changed the oil and inspected the filter to see if there was any major ferrous metallic particles in the oil/filter and if it would change anything. It didn't. Oil looked fairly clean/debris free. Some very, very, very small shimmering specs in the filter, but nothing I would say was major.

I next removed all the coils, and spark plugs to inspect for any obvious cylinder issues, oil/fluid contamination, detonation, damage. All looked ok, and all look like they were the correct color. No oil contamination.

Then I removed the accessory belt to see if that would stop the noise- again no change with engine running/belt off.

So yesterday I took the transmission out (fairly easy job and +1 for the pelican parts guide). Took me about 2 hours to get it out on my back. Anyway- I inspected the (recently new) clutch and flywheel area for any loose/backed out bolts or damage signs back there- all looked ok.

Removed the IMS bearing cover and the bearing looks brand new.

Now I am stuck as to what my next step should be. I guess I should have mentioned that myself, and a good mechanic friend took a second listen with the engine running and the noise seems to be coming from the area on the drivers side chain tensioner, and IMS bearing area. Originally the noise sounded like it was farther out toward the head, but with a good mechanics stethoscope, and a screwdriver to feel for vibrations it definitely seems to be coming from that tensioner/IMS area.

Has anyone ever experienced a bad chain tensioner that would make a noise like that? Mind you this car was checked for cam deviation and that was spot on. I checked the timing marks and it still appears to be in perfect time.

I'd hate to scrap this engine with the thought of it still being something simple, but I guess maybe it's time to look into replacements/reconstruction?
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote