View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
AKnowles

OK, for clarification - parking meant the process of - meaning the hand brake was not used until the car was at a complete stop. And I suppose there are exceptions related to safety, but I'll stick with my view that using a hand brake in a car with a MT as a matter of general use is just plain wrong.

It takes a bit more skill to get a vehicle moving up a hill without using the parking brake, but that's all it is. And if one lacks the skill to do so, shouldn't drive a MT. Or if they must, then they should get a vehicle with a hill assist. Subaru had one quite a ways back. I used it a couple of times on very stepp hills on my Outback Sport, but can't say I really liked it or needed it. Now Porsche has one too. It's sad to see these types of features put in a MT transmission car in the first place. To me, it follows the same principle as a PDK only Porsche. It does make the vehicle more available to the masses - got that - but it detracts from the feel, the interaction, and the skill required to drive the vehicle. That just takes all the fun out of it for me and places it back it in the label of just transportation.

BTW: One of the other reasons for having this view is having had someone roll back on to you at a hill because they couldn't control their vehicle without using the hand brake. If it happens to you, then you too may change your mind about using a hand brake on a hill as a general rule.