View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
jnicholson30

New Alternative to Porsche Passenger Airbag Deactivation Bar?

I know many on the forum have talked about their wish to deactivate the passenger airbags in order to take their kids along for the fun. Unfortunately, the only way to do this has historically been to hack up a Porsche child seat and proprietary buckle system to turn it off, which can be hard to find and can be quite expensive as well.

Well, I found this on ebay and ended up buying it as it is short money (only about $50 bucks) and seems to work quite well. This guy in the UK came up with a way to mimic the completed system and it comes with a switch to turn on and off. Once received, I plugged it into the factory fitting under the seat and flipped the switch to "Airbag Off", started the car and low and behold the car does in fact read that it is installed, with the dash airbag light illuminated! Essentially it fakes the system into thinking the real deal is installed.

Here's the link to ebay: Porsche Airbag de Activator Alternative to Bar and Child Seat Boxster 911 | eBay

Perhaps others may be able to benefit from this as well. Has anyone else tried one?

Also, one question if anyone knows the answer... At the moment, the dash airbag light stays on when the device is activated. This is because I have not yet had the computer setting switched. Does anyone know if in this setting, it means the airbags are actually deactivated (with dash light on) or do I instead NEED to find a mechanic with PST2 (hard to find) that will flip the factory setting in the computer (when activated, the dash light will turn off after starting) before they will truly turn off? It would be good to know this while I search for someone that will connect and change the setting....

Either way, it seems like a good find. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you!

Jeff

2000 Boxster S 62K mi
Silver/Black
jnicholson30 is offline   Reply With Quote