View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Thought I had a simple exhaust leak, as suggested by Woodsman. - since I just recently installed headers! The sound is definitely coming from the transmission! Noticed it first when coasting - now it is FULL-TIME!

Here is a 7 second clip of the noise at startup, as suggested by Flavor 987S.

* Listen at the 2-3 seconds mark for the scary RATTLING NOISE. I did not leave the starter engaged long enough to start to minimize damage.

Within 1,000 miles I have added a Sachs Clutch, Aasco Lightweight Flywheel, Throwout Bearing, Pressure Plate & IMS.

This is where I need to rely on this Forums' vast knowledge (I have tried the search function and gleaned some info). So here is the dilemma….

Everything was torqued to spec and thread locker used….except the pressure plate bolts. The pressure plate bolts were torqued to Aasco's recommended spec of 20 ft.lbs. (instead of 17 that Bentley recommends) BUT Aasco DOES recommend using Loctite on these particular bolts, Porsche does NOT. Which is correct? I decided to NOT put Loctite on since it was a factory part and did not take into account the Aasco (not being a dual mass FW) shakes the tranny a fair bit, otherwise known as sounding like a "diesel".

Any suggestions, short of telling me where to dump it, are appreciated. Thanks for the responses thus far. I want to keep the LWFW - already addicted to the performance!

Strange Porsche Sound 5-16-13 - YouTube

NOTE: This is the only downside, emissions aside, to running headers…you cannot hear ALL the OTHER sounds the car is making! But it sure DOES RUN WELL…when it's running!