View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
southernstar

Just so that I have it clear, the current owner put on only 7,000 miles IN TOTAL in the 11-12 years he has owned the car? I wonder whether the odomoter has been turned back..... Does the carfax from your jurisdiction confirm annual mileage, or just the odometer reading at time of transfers/major servicing. If the latter, I'd be a bit nervous about his claim that he bought a 3 year old Boxster in 2001 with extremely high mileage (78,000) and then chose to drive it an average of only 600 miles a year.

He says that he put on only 1500 miles in the last 6 years, but that still leaves only 5500 miles for the first 6, so less than 1000 miles a year in that period. Is it possible? Sure. But most people who want to buy and keep a garage queen will buy very low mileage examples. Heck, even if he is a car collector and rarely drives any of his cars, you would still expect him to buy one with low mileage.

The hard top also causes me some concern. If he put on such incredibly low mileage, one assumes he drove only in good weather. Why then did he want a hardtop?????? I mean, usually that is reserved for fall/winter driving.

Porsche Excellence has commented that care must be taken as it is not that difficult to alter the mileage on the Boxster's digital odometer and, as they hold up quite well cosmetically, it can be difficult to tell. Just saying....

If the report does show annual mileage at each plate/sticker renewal, then it is much more difficult to fake. In that case, it sounds as if his story, while incredibly odd, may be true. The car has passed a decent PPI and is fundamentally sound for a fair price. I would still want to see receipts for oil/filters - not only does Porsche recommend annual changes if mileage is below that recommended for a change, but anyone who stores their cars for the winter will tell you that it is critical. I would also take off the hardtop and check out the convertible top for operation and condition. But if that is fine, then go for it.

Can you expect some significant repair bills? Certainly. Be prepared for about $2000 yearly. However, that would be the case for virtually any Boxster except the rare, low mileage one that has had virtually all the repairs that perfectlap refers to done already. IF you can find one of those for under $14K, I say go for that one.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote