View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Perfectlap

Not much of a savings for a potentially big problem.

I don't know how set you are on only spending $10K but everyone knows there is no such thing as as a $10K Porsche that you actually plan to drive.

Either the previous driver put in the cash to address the major maintenance that comes up by at least the 100K mile mark like shocks, control arms, clutch/IMS, rotors, water pump, possibly the cats as well as common Boxster issues like the AOS, coolant tank or he didn't and you'll have to. I spent $10K on nearly all of the above on car with less miles so its not unheard of for things to crop up in costly waves once the car reaches a certain point. One way to avoid determining that point is to park it for six years...
PPI's are a good idea but they only tell you, for the most part, what's wrong at that time. Things can let go without much warning in a short amount of time. You have to budget for items that typically only last x amount of miles. Or pay more for a lower mileage, newer Porsche. You'll be paying either way unless you plan to be out of the car in 1 year or 2 max.

What I would do: find an enthusiast-owned (someone who doesn't let a car sit for six years) Porsche in a sunny climate region (Southern California) with a decent amount of mileage and some of the major maintenance items checked off. Many folks come on here asking about a Porsche simply because it falls into a certain price range and it looks decent for the vintage. Little do they realize that cost of entry is not cost to play.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote