View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #66
southernstar

I agree that as a group the potential buyers for the 911 and Boxster/Cayman are not identical, but there is obviously some overlap as thstone, the OP in this thread shows. I also believe that he is not merely the exception that proves the rule, as others here have opined that they would have purchased the 996 over the 986 if prices had been similar at the time of purchase. Indeed, prior to my purchase of a 986 I also tested a couple of 996's to see which I preferred.

I suspect that while some people would only consider a 911 (whether for status, rear jump seats, or increased comfort), and while others would only consider the Boxster/Cayman (lower price, or a preference for a mid-engined car with better transient response and turn-in), there are others who are interested in purchasing a sports car and, in many cases, a Porsche sports car specifically. For those, recent tests and the comments of Walter Rohrl and others cannot help but move some in the direction of the Boxster/Cayman. The extent to which this will bleed away sales from the 911 is yet to be determined, but we cannot overlook the fact that at one time the Boxster alone (without the hardtop Cayman version) outsold the 911.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote